Monday, June 4, 2012

Strawberry Boy

We hit the berry patch yesterday.



It was possibly the perfect berry picking weather.  Sunny, 80's, with a solid, lovely breeze.  We tried a new berry patch this year and it's officially our new favorite berry patch.  Olive Berry Acres took about an hour and a half to get to from Chicago.   Several of my mama friends tried it out this week-end and we're all sold.  If you're in Illinois and looking for berries, give them a try.


We picked 15 pounds of strawberries before Ellis began to lose his mind.  He got a little hot, which obviously requires mama's sunglasses and headscarf.





Strawberry picking was easy, but the raspberries were a bit tougher.  Many of the good berries were deep in the bushes.  You had to really want it, which I did.  I have the scratched up arms to prove it.  I managed to pick two pounds of raspberries.  Ellis picked quite a few, too.  He ate them all, of course.

Today we're headed over to my friend's house for a group canning session.  On deck for today is classic strawberry jam from the Ball Book.  Tonight Sarah and I will make low-sugar strawberry jam from the Pamona recipe.  And I'm thinking of trying out a Strawberry Balsamic recipe this year.

All in all, a wonderful kick-off to u-pick and to canning season.  I can't wait for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment