Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mama Re-Vamp

True confession time.  I skipped a dear friend's birthday celebration at my favorite bar last week because I felt too ugly and didn't have anything to wear.  I have really not been taking care of myself lately. And by lately I mean, for the last year or so, emphasis on "or so".

I haven't had a hair cut in over a year.  I've trimmed the ends myself here and there, but I am not a proficient stylist.  My "do" had become a weird frizzy triangle.  Sexy, kinda.

Also, none of my Fall clothes fit.  Truth be told, I've gained some weight lately.  I'm 39 years old and 6 months ago, I quit nursing my son after nearly 4 years.  Obviously, my body is going to change.  Still, I was unable to let go of the size I've always been and embrace the size I actually am. Honestly, I'm hoping to move back to the old size in a healthy manner, but in the meantime, I need to, you know, be dressed.

My inability to go to the party was a sort of wake-up call.  This is no way to live.  I took a few days to wallow and sulk and feel generally ugly, and then here's what I did.  I arranged a baby-sitter for the day and had a day of beauty.  I painted my toenails.  I bought new make-up, bras, and underwear.  It's possible that these things alone could power my life for years.  I thrifted new clothes in my actual size.  And I got an awesome haircut (from Nicholas at Barbara & Barbara.  You should go there, too.)  I literally feel like a new woman.


I still need to get new glasses (mine are broken and I can't see all that well these days.  Frankly, I can barely thread a needle.) I hit the dentist (boo).  But I'm happy to say, I definitely feel like myself again.

See?





No comments:

Post a Comment