Saturday, September 29, 2012

Apple Picking, 2012 Edition

The amazing weather we experienced in March plus the subsequent frost and subsequent drought had a dear price.  Much of the apple crop in southern Illinois and Michigan was lost this year.  Today we headed out to enjoy what was left.  The U-Pick pickings around here are very slim.  Kuiper's Orchard was able to save a large portion of their apple harvest through some serious apple-saving efforts.  We're so glad they did.


We were able to pick a 1/4 peck each in the orchard and to pick up a full peck in the store.  Add to that absolutely perfect weather and you have a recipe for success.






We even had fun getting to the orchard.




And just hanging out.



Did you know that Ellis' life goal is to be a farmer?  He's doing pretty well so far.



After the apples, we headed over to the pumpkin patch.  Although we didn't U-Pick pumpkins (the child was pretty much melting down entirely by this point), they had a great selection in the store.





I've always wanted one of these:


I finally treated myself.  After I use it for decor, I will cook it up and eat it, even though I really don't like eating pumpkin.




That's right.  I'm living the dream.

Now, of course, it's time to can those apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment