Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Humble Bathmat

Everything in your homes should be either useful or pretty or belong to your child.  With a pretty bathmat, you can have two out of three.




Apparently, I forgot how to make bias tape.  I can't tell you how many hours this took me.  If I paid myself a living wage for this, I'm sure this is a $200 bunch of bias tape.




After all that work, I had half a mind to save it for, you know, posterity.  Alas, it was meant for something greater.






There were, I confess, a few false starts attaching the bias tape.  Terry cloth is sort of a tricky medium to work with.  I usually partially hand-stitch bias tape, but I couldn't imagine working with that loopy material.  So this is fully machine-stitched.  The next ones will be better.


Still, it turned out pretty nicely.





And it's fully reversible!


This one already has a home, but I'm working on some for the shop, now that I can make them in less than 40 hours.


And here are some future bathmats.  My good friend gave me a giant bag of vintage sheets yesterday.  Aren't they just the height of gorgeous?  The cat's meow?  Suffice it to say, I get a little too excited about used bedding.





No comments:

Post a Comment