Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sew What

We've still been on the mend around here.  It's possible we feel better, but I'm too superstitious right now to say anything about it.  Being sick took a lot out of all of us.  I sort of feel like I've been out of town since I feel so disconnected.  It's time to get back into the work of living.

I've found a local source for DMC perle cotton in colors besides red, navy, black and ecru.  The store is Sifu, which is possibly the world's most perfect craft store.  Yarn and embroidery?  A mile away from my house?  Vintage needle work on the walls?  Yes, please!


I bought some size 8 perle cotton.  I'm used to working with 6 strands of embroidery floss, so this seems thinner.  However, it pulls through the fabric so much more smoothly.  I'm not sure I'm loving the line it creates.  It's thinner and shinier, so different from the fat, almost Sharpie-like line of embroidery floss.  It's going to take some getting used to.

To that end, I started some new work.  I'm going to work up a couple of background pieces and see about stitching multiple pieces at once.  In the interest of speed, I headed to the sewing machine.



I made a mess, hopefully a beautiful mess.


Not to be outdone, Elly got in on the sewing machine action.



He made a star.


He loves working on the machine.  Today he learned to use the foot pedal.  He sewed really, really fast.  It made me a little afraid for when he learns to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment