Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Sun Is Out, The Sky Is Blue

The sun is out today.  I am more than glad to see it.

Meanwhile, Tuesday's dinner was less yummy than I'd hoped.  Wednesday's was more yummy.


I call that even steven, baby.  We had a rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods (on sale for $6.99) on Tuesdays.  The deliciousness of the dinner was undermined by Ellis' questions: Does it hurt the chicken when we eat it?  Does it have a name?  I lost my appetite a bit.


The cucumber tomato salad was both less flavorful and more runny than I would like.  I suppose it'd be much more delicious if cucumbers and tomatoes were actually in season.  In Illinois in February, the only thing in season is clouds.


Old School Taco Night was a home run.


In honor of my mom, I made tacos the was she has always made them, the way only a white girl from Minnesota can, though with a few important updates.  Ground Beef plus a packet of taco mix, store bought crunchy taco shells, iceberg lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese topped off with a tomato.  That's how mom used to make 'em.

 Here's what I do.

For meat:
1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 TBS. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 onion, chopped small
1 large clove garlic, more or less to taste
1 TBS. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
2 shakes cayenne
salt to taste
1/2 cup water or broth

Heat EVOO in pan.  Saute onion and garlic until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.  Add ground beef, spices, and water.  Saute until well mixed and yummy.

Assemble tacos with the following:
chopped tomatoes
shredded cheese of your choice (tonight we used Trader Joe's Raw Milk Cheddar)
shredded lettuce (I prefer romaine, but any greens will do)
chopped avocado
sprouted grain tortillas  (I prefer Ezekiel brand)
salsa (we love this!)
sour cream 

If you have a three year old, serve with each item separated.  By all means, do NOT allow one ingredient to touch the other.  Also, I keep the spices mild for the kid.  Feel free to spice it up!  If you're a vegetarian or don't eat red meat, I recommend making black beans with mushroom broth in place of the ground beef.  Brown rice is also a great addition.

For tonight, I have Beef and Broccoli in the slow-cooker.


A picture of the outside of the slow-cooker will have to suffice.  There is nothing more yucky looking than a picture of raw meat. I just tasted it and it is delish, but probably a bit over-spicy for Ellis.  Next time I'll reduce the ginger and chili paste.

I'm also going to learn to use a pressure canner tonight.  Yeah.  It's a good life.

(Thrift notes:  Like my thrifted Fiesta Plate?  $1 at a yard sale, baby.)

No comments:

Post a Comment