Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Soup Week, Day 2: Miso Soup

Welcome to day two of Soup Week!   In conjunction with my New Year 2012 Eating Regime: Eat Like An Adult, I decided to try miso.


In the past, I have not loved it.  I'm also sensitive to thrush, and the jury is out on whether or not miso is a good idea in the face of candida issues.  But whatever.  I am now completely addicted to miso soup.  I mean, wow.  I really hope it's okay for my body.




Here's my recipe.  These quantities are all pretty flexible.  Add as much or as little as you like of everything, depending on the flavor and consistency you're looking for.  Made with water and these measurements, your soup will be on the plain side.  For a more intense soup, use broth or reduce water by half.



Easy Miso Soup with Mushrooms & Tofu

2 TBS EVOO
3 cloves garlic, sliced or minced (I prefer mine chunky)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (I love shitake, but anything would work)
1/2 cup tofu, cut into small cubes
2 TBS miso, or more or less to taste
4 quarts water or vegetable broth
1/4 tsp ground ginger (or fresh if you have it)
handful of greens such as kale, collard, or seaweed
scallions, for garnish (optional)

Heat EVOO in large soup pan.  Saute garlic, mushrooms and tofu until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.  Add water or broth, miso, and ginger.  Bring to boil.  Add greens.  Reduce heat and simmer until soup is yummy.


I served this to Ellis for lunch and he hated it.  He's in a weird food place right now, reluctant to try new things and hating most of the new things he tries.  I'm lucky because on the whole, his favorite foods are pretty healthy.  He likes all fruit and most vegetables.  He would pick blueberries and plain yogurt over blueberry flavored yogurt.  However, I do want him to expand his palate.  I get tired of eating the same things all the time.  I believe that a diverse diet is better for health.  And it's just good practice to be a flexible person.  Also, it does hurt my feelings just a bit when he makes a huge gagging sound after trying my cooking.  I'm sure this is my karma coming to roost.  Sorry about mocking the tofu burgers, mom.  But it was 1983.  My mom is always a few steps ahead of the dominant culture on food issues.


Meanwhile, Ellis helped me make Tomato Sauce for dinner for his school-to-home project.  They are studying Italy.  His assignment is to make an Italian dish, eat it, and draw a picture of it.  Then I'll go in to his class and we'll talk about our experience.



In unrelated news, there isn't any room in my freezer right now because it's all filled up with a giant bag of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment