Sunday, April 1, 2012

Stitchy Saturday Night

Last night Sarah went out for a Mama's Night Out.  I stayed home, cuddled up on the couch stitching and watching Season 4 of Buffy.  That, my friends, is a good evening for sure.


For this piece, I've machine-appliqued bits and pieces from vintage linens and modern calicos onto some up cycled linen, which began its life as hideous pants.  Now I'm hand-stitching a bird, a blue bird, I think, from an Aunt Martha's Transfer.  I just used the bird and cut out the TUESDAY and the flowers it came with.


I love transfers.  However, I find it tricky to use them in my art pieces.  They always stand out to me as someone else's work, differently than when I use pieces actually stitched by someone else.  For this piece, I'm hoping to combine the bird with a transfer I design myself.  The idea is that they will blend together, make a larger whole.


This piece is actually an illustration from the novel I wrote in 2010 for NaNoWriMo.  Believe me when I say, the book itself is not awesome.  I did love the story and the characters.  They've stayed with me in my head.  The writing, though, is destined to live on only on my old computer.  But I'm really drawn to visual art with a narrative.  I often work with a generalized narrative or fragments of a narrative.  I sort of doubt that narrative comes through to the audience.  Here I'm working with a very specific yet private narrative.  How will that translate?  Or will it?  Will it seem obscure?  Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, the Silence piece has entered the homestretch.  I've put it on the wall so I can see it from a distance.  Somehow that process is really useful to me.




There's something about walking into a room and coming upon the piece that gives me a different perspective. The elements that work or don't really pop for me and gaps are revealed in a way they aren't up close.

On this piece, I've removed a few pieces and have a few to add.  I'll do the lettering last, since I want that to be the top layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment